Sylvan Union School District maintains and applies consistently a single standard of discipline procedures. The purpose of the student discipline policy at Somerset Middle School is to maintain an educational environment conducive to learning and to protect the order, safety, and health of other pupils. Once the learning, health, and safety needs of the school are met, the needs of individual students are paramount. Investigations shall be full, fair, and equal. All corrective measures taken are directed toward changing the undesirable behavior and are expected to provide for a consistent effort to guide a student who has a behavior problem.
The discipline policy will be discussed with students. Each student will receive a copy of the Student Handbook and the Code of Conduct. Students are asked to review the Code of Conduct with their parents and return an included form which indicates that this has been done.
The school reserves the right to adjust school rules to meet the changing needs of a safe and orderly learning environment. During the final few days of the school year several of these adjustments should be expected (i.e., the prohibition of backpacks).
GENERAL SCHOOL RULES
1. Come to school prepared to learn.
2. Follow the directions of adults in charge the first time.
3. Remain in assigned areas.
4. Speak without the use of abusive language.
5. Chewing gum is not allowed on campus.
6. Keep hands, feet and other objects to yourself.
7. Food may be eaten only in designated areas.
8. Walk only on sidewalks.
9. Walk bicycles on all areas of the campus.
10. Portable radios, electronic games, Walkmans, and other such personal items are not allowed on campus.
11. Skates are not allowed on campus.
12. Students must have a pass to be out of class during class time.
13. Students are not allowed on campus before 7:30 AM or after 3:00 PM unless participating in a school sponsored activity or waiting for a bus.
14. Students who are waiting for a bus must wait in the bus loading area and not loiter around the campus.
15. Students not participating in an after school activity are expected to go directly home.
Students may be disciplined for any of these general topics: classroom behavior, behavior during free-time (before, break, lunch, after school), excessive tardies to class, cell phone/iPAD misuse, dress code violations, etc.